Discussion: Increasing TVL and therefore the cost to attack the Network

DPoS has it’s advantages over PoS, but in terms of reliable and democratic access to rewards it has guarantees only for the forging delegates. This seems to contribute to a low participation rate when compared to our PoS competitors. Since increasing the amount of validators has been deemed a step in the wrong direction, it may be beneficial to guarantee a certain portion of the emission directly to those participating in voting.

One potential condition for this could be that a reward is generated in the account as long as their chosen delegate is in good standing with the network. This could also extend to those voting for standby delegates. Of course without raising the inflation, this will mean taking something from the current forging delegates which comprise the majority of the active community members. I suspect this proposal will therefore be a hard pill to swallow but there is less than 20% of the supply involved in the current arrangement and an even smaller percentage actually belonging to those delegates. I’m sure most non-forging voters and the remaining 80% of the tokens would prefer some guarantees. What are your thoughts?

Thank you @stellardynamic for your question.

We are researching the topic of reward sharing and are aware of the concerns about the relatively low TVL. Note, however, some Lisk delegates are already sharing some percentage of their rewards with the voters. You can find the detailed information here (https://liskrewards.com) in the “Promised Sharing’’ column. However, you rightly said at present there are not enough guarantees for voters who are voting for the forging delegates. These voters should get some percentage of the delegate rewards with some guarantees. We are currently investigating the topic of an on-chain sharing mechanism as announced at the AmpliFire event in December 2021. As part of this research, we are also looking into other projects about the handling of the issue. We will update the community about our research in the near future.